The Xiaomi Mi 8, Mi 8 Explorer Edition, and the Mi 8 SE were recently launched at an event in China. With the three smartphone announcements came the release of a MIUI 10 China Developer ROM for several devices. The new “AI” features that Xiaomi is highlighting for the release include AI Preload and AI Portrait. MIUI 10 also brings changes to nearly every aspect of the system UI such as a redesigned lock screen, notifications, recent apps, quick settings, volume panel, and more. Parts of the new UI are reminiscent of the design seen in Android P. If you want to try out this new version of MIUI, you can either wait for Xiaomi to release a Global Beta ROM or sideload the China Beta ROM right now so long as you have the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S, Xiaomi Mi 6, or Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro. Don’t worry, you can change the language from Mandarin to English and you can install Google apps too!
Why only these devices? Well, MIUI 10 isn’t publicly available yet. ROMs for these devices have leaked online which is how we’re able to install them right now, but if you own one of the other devices poised to receive an update to MIUI 10 you’ll have to wait for a ROM to leak or for Xiaomi to release a build. As a reminder, the following devices are in closed beta testing for the ROM right now with a public beta to follow later this month.
Devices eligible for MIUI 10 China Developer ROM
In late July, the public beta will be available for the following devices:
List of eligible devices for MIUI 10 China Developer ROM in July
- Xiaomi Mi Note 3
- Xiaomi Mi 5X
- Xiaomi Mi 5c
- Xiaomi Mi 5s
- Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus
- Xiaomi Mi 4
- Xiaomi Mi 4c
- Xiaomi Mi 4S
- Xiaomi Mi Max 2
- Xiaomi Mi Max
- Xiaomi Redmi 5
- Xiaomi Redmi 5A
- Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus
- Xiaomi Redmi 4
- Xiaomi Redmi 4A
- Xiaomi Redmi 4X
- Xiaomi Redmi 3S/ Redmi 3X
- Xiaomi Redmi Pro
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5A
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Qualcomm/ Redmi Note 4X
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (MediaTek)
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 (Qualcomm)
The builds for the Xiaomi Mi 6, Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, and Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S are based on Android 8.0 Oreo while the build for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro is based on Android 8.1 Oreo. Once you flash these builds, you should be on the latest May security patches. We’re not sure if you’ll receive OTA updates to stable releases, but it should be easy to sideload future updates in the same way you’re installing these builds. The last thing we should note is that the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro build is actually from the Chinese Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (not to be confused with the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 released in India which is known as the Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus in China); according to users on our forums, it should still work just fine.
How to install MIUI 10 on the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S, Xiaomi Mi 6, and Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro
- Setup ADB and Fastboot on your computer if you haven’t already.
- Connect your phone to your PC.
- Download the right TWRP image for your phone:
- Download the Google apps package here.
- Download the right MIUI 10 build for your phone:
- Transfer the MIUI 10 ROM and GApps package from your PC to your phone.
- Reboot to the bootloader by powering off your phone and holding down the power key and volume down keys simultaneously.
- Boot TWRP on your device with the following command:
fastboot boot /path/to/twrp.img(Replace /path/to/twrp.img with the actual filename and the location where you stored it.)
- Once you have booted into TWRP, tap on “Wipe” and then “swipe to factory reset” to do a factory reset. This may not be necessary if you’re already on the MIUI 9 China Stable or Developer ROMs, but it’ll very likely be necessary if you’re on the MIUI 9 Global ROMs.
- Go to “Install” and find where you stored the MIUI 10 ROM. Select it and flash it.
- Tap “back” and then flash the Google apps package.
- Once the flashing has completed, tap on “reboot system” and you should boot into MIUI 10!
- Enjoy MIUI 10 on your Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S, Xiaomi Mi 6, and Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro!
Want to share your thoughts on these ROMs and follow all the latest news for your device? Check out the official XDA forums for each device below!
Rojenx is a leading concept artist who work appears in games and publications
Check out his personal gallery here