Back in January this year, we learned that Android 10/Q might be considering blocking clipboard access to apps running in the background. When we first got our hands on the Android 10 beta in March, the same was confirmed to be true. This spelled the end for clipboard managers which require access to clipboard data to function normally. While this change was certainly a big win for security, it hurt many third-party developers. Now, it seems like the developer behind Tasker and Join has managed to find a workaround to bring back clipboard monitoring on Android 10.
In separate posts on Reddit highlighting the latest beta updates for the apps, developer u/joaomgcd reveals that they’ve successfully implemented a fix that allows clipboard monitoring to work on Android 10. The fix has been included in Tasker version 5.9.beta.2 and Join version 2.2.beta, and it will allow both the apps to access clipboard data while running in the background. The developer has also published a video highlighting the method using which you’ll be able to turn on clipboard monitoring in Join.
Comments from users suggest that the workaround is working as intended. However, you may still encounter some unforeseen issues while trying to use this feature on your phone. Other than the fix, the latest beta update for Tasker also brings a number of other changes to the app.
Here’s a complete changelog of all that’s new in Tasker v5.9.beta.2:
- Fixed Media Button state on Android 8+
- Added Set Assistant action: set your phone’s assistant (Google, AutoVoice, Tasker, etc)
- Fixed Clipboard related features on Android 10
- Made Tasker always show up as an assistant choice and then, when used as an assistant, give user instructions on how to use
- Restore Settings is now disabled by default when creating a new profile
- Changed Auto theme to Black (instead of dark) when system UI Dark Mode is enabled
- Fixed Input Method Select action on Android 10
- Fixed illegible error message when importing stuff from Taskernet that needs a newer version of Tasker
- Fixed asking for draw over other apps permission when necessary
- Fixed allowing phone to go to sleep when dark mode is enabled while Android Auto is running
- Allow scenes to shown with any vertical offset if user enters value manually
- Fixed crash sometimes when destroying a scene with a map element
- Fixed bug where if you imported a profile sometimes another disabled profile would be enabled
- Ask for notification access permission when enabling the Use Notification If Available option in the Media Control action
- Added reminder that Pixel users can squeeze their phones to call Tasker as an assistant
- Added Assistant Settings in Tasker > Menu > More > Android Settings
- Made Cell Near condition work more reliably
- Made background service detection work on more devices
- Made NFC action work more reliably
- Small crash fixes
The post Latest Tasker and Join betas bring back clipboard monitoring on Android 10 appeared first on xda-developers.
Rojenx is a leading concept artist who work appears in games and publications
Check out his personal gallery here