The Steam Link app was released for Android just a few weeks ago. It allows you to stream games from Steam to your phone and play them with a Bluetooth controller. Fortnite is one of the largest games ever as it just hit 125 million players. Epic Games announced Fortnite mobile for Android, but it hasn’t been released yet. For those who want to be able to play Fortnite on their phone before Epic Games releases it for Android, follow the guide below. Note that this will require a Bluetooth controller, a PC or Mac that can run Fortnite, and the Android device to be on the same wireless as the computer. Keep in mind that even though the title says Android, these instructions will also work for devices running iOS.
How to add Fortnite into Steam Link:
- Before you start adding Fortnite into Steam, you are going to want to make sure that you have Fortnite installed through the Epic Games Launcher. You can check this by opening the Epic Games Launcher and checking if the green box says “Install” or “Launch.” If it says “Install,” follow the prompts and install the game.
- Once you confirm that you have Fortnite installed, launch it once to make sure your account gets saved into the game. This is important because if you don’t, the game will require you to enter a username and password to play. Steam Link doesn’t have keyboard support so you will not be able to enter your password. Once Fortnite opens, you can just close the game.
- Open Steam now. Make sure you are signed into a Steam account. Click “Add a game” in the bottom left corner of the screen. Then click “Add a non-Steam game.” This is going to come up with a long list of installed programs. Ignore all of these here. Click “Browse” in the bottom bar of the window. You are going to want to find a program called “FortniteLauncher.exe.” On Windows, the default location of this program is C:\Program Files\Epic GamesFortnite\FortniteGame\Binaries\Win64.
- Once you have Fortnite added to Steam, you are done with Steam for a bit. Grab your phone and make sure you have Steam Link installed. Open Steam Link and make sure your phone and your computer are on the same wireless network. Open Steam Link and follow the instructions to add a controller. Once you do that, it will show you a screen with a computer on it if you did it properly. If not, find the IP address of your computer and manually add it.
- Once the computer shows up on the phone, the phone will come up with a PIN code to enter into Steam on your computer. Once you do this it will check your network speeds to make sure it can handle the game streaming. After this, you are pretty much good. To launch the Steam streaming, click Play.
- Once Steam has opened, you can go to Library then Installed Games. You will see Fortnite on that list. Click it then click start playing. It will take a bit of time on the loading screen but Fortnite should launch after. It took my laptop around a minute to launch Fortnite. Once you do this you can play Fortnite through your phone using a Bluetooth controller.
Rojenx is a leading concept artist who work appears in games and publications
Check out his personal gallery here